Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

A lost genre

One of the most painful conversations to overhear when I'm out and about is the debate over what book to get for an adolescent girl (painful because social mores declare that it is odd for me to interject).  You're likely to hear painful suggestions like Twilight or one of its host of derivatives.  You might hear references to the Uglies series, or perhaps something by Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult.  Maybe they'll even throw out something along the lines of Wicked or the Hunger Games series (which is fine as far as books go, except that I personally found Wicked and Nicholas Sparks to be a bit...adult).  Don't misunderstand me, there isn't anything inherently wrong with most of those options (the exception to that being Twilight, my thoughts on which, however, have been documented elsewhere).  But I would like to offer up some alternate suggestions that are sadly forgotten in today's society.  These are the 5 books that I feel every single girl ought to read before she is 20.

  1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  2. A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
  3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
  5. Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

These 5 books belong to what was known as "College Girl" books from the early 20th century (published in the mid 19th century, Little Women falls slightly ahead of this era, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn slightly behind, all the way in 1943).  It is a genre, now dead, which featured a female protagonists moving beyond adolescence into the more mature world of college, marriage, and independence.  They were, at the times of their publication, primarily marketed to and aimed at women of that same age, however they are now generally considered more suited for younger readers.  While I absolutely believe that these books are still relevant to their originally targeted audience, I would agree that they have even more to offer a younger, still-developing girl.  

The key to a college girl story is the classic "coming of age" theme. Unfortunately, the very phrase "coming of age" has been so overused in contemporary culture that it has come to mean nothing more than moving out of the house and having an ill-fated fling that teaches you a good "life-lesson" along the lines of "I shouldn't sacrifice my dream for a pretty face"  Indeed, I would suggest that today coming of age means coming to self. Follow your dreams.  Don't settle.  Demand the respect you deserve.  Take time to take care of yourself.  Discover who you really are.  These are all typical themes in contemporary "coming of age" stories.  However, they are all ultimately still the "life lessons" of a child.  Realizations all centered on the self.
There was a time when coming of age meant something more.  To come of age meant to transition from a girl to a woman.  It was the process of taking on the responsibilities of an adult and the concerns of a lady.  The affairs of womanhood are intrinsically different than maidenhood.  To grow up, to become an adult, is to realize that life isn't all about you.  It is the dawn of understanding that there are things in life that require sacrifice, and that you are capable of making those sacrifices on the strength of your own will.  Though it may be considered "un-feminist", these books embraced the idea of the "womanly soul".  This was the idea that a woman, by nature, is intelligent and strong, but also nurturing.  A child is by nature selfish and aware only of those things which relate to it specifically.  A woman must cast of that childhood self-absorption and embrace her responsibilities as an adult.  
What are some of the "life lessons" to be found in my 5 books?  Jo March learns to love serving others.  She learns that integrity is one of the most valuable and simultaneously the most easily lost of virtues.  Elnora Comstock begins the book and remains constant as an incredibly strong and sympathetic character.  She is a dedicated and determined worker, passionate and loving, and is strong as steel.  Francie Nolan learns how to take care of herself, and yet how to forgive, love, and trust those closest to her.  Anne Shirley learns to control and yet embrace an flighty and impulsive nature.  She learns how to apply herself and how to relent in the face of her wounded pride.  And Judy Abbot exemplifies the beauty of a happy, loving soul.  
These are the "strong female characters" girls ought to be looking up to.  Women who exemplify all of the best attributes we are capable of as a sex.  How can such women exist in literature, and yet our daughters, sisters, and friends are told to look to Bella Swan as a "strong heroine"?  She isn't the only example to be found of the current standard of moral [lack of] strength, but she is always the first to come to my mind because she is so very disappointing.  If you would like one from classical literature, I would offer up Becky Sharp from Thackeray's Vanity Fair.  I remember watching the Reese Witherspoon movie adaptation, and being absolutely horrified when, in one of the "making of" features, I heard all of the women on the crew praising Becky for being such a "strong" woman, so "ahead of her time."  Becky Sharp was a character who sold her soul, heart, and body for social advancement, money, and power.  Thackeray never meant her to be a likable character (indeed, the book is subtitled "a novel without a hero").  But the horrifying part was that these women knew that...and thought her the stronger for it!  These women respected the fact that Becky viewed her body as a commodity she could use to get ahead in life.  I suppose, in a society that thinks like this, it is not surprising that we are producing Bella Swans and holding them up to be revered and respected.  But what can such a society expect from the girls who are doing the revering?  What can they possibly grown into?
So, to conclude this overly-long post, I suppose I just want to add my small voice on the side of real womanhood.  If I am ever blessed with a daughter of my own, I will share Anne, Elnora, Judy, Francie, and Jo with her.  If I am lucky, their stories will take root in her soul, as they did in mine, and their strength, knowledge, and beauty will shape her more than the twisted and deformed models society will be offering her.  

7 comments:

  1. I love it! I'll have to read the three of those that I've never read. I wonder if I can find any of them at the English bookstore here?

    I'm glad you brought this up - it's very timely. So, last week in Relief Society in Hong Kong (just because I think that's awesome to say) we talked about Elder Ballard's talk called Mothers and Daughters. (does html work in these replies? We'll find out.)

    I had heard it when he first gave it, but was reminded this time about some of the most powerful points he makes. Listen to this:

    "It is, unfortunately, all too easy to illustrate the confusion and distortion of womanhood in contemporary society. Immodest, immoral, intemperate women jam the airwaves, monopolize magazines, and slink across movie screens—all while being celebrated by the world. The Apostle Paul spoke prophetically of “perilous times” that will come in the last days and specifically referenced something that may have seemed particularly perilous to him: “silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts” (2 Timothy 3:1, 6). Popular culture today often makes women look silly, inconsequential, mindless, and powerless. It objectifies them and disrespects them and then suggests that they are able to leave their mark on mankind only by seduction—easily the most pervasively dangerous message the adversary sends to women about themselves."

    And it was just a few weeks ago I was ranting about Lady Gaga and the praise she gets for being "confident and empowered." It seems so clear to me now - we use these words like "power" for actions that really enslave. Satan wants us to think that our power as women lies in seduction. What a lie. Our power lies in being strong and righteous enough to demand the respect we deserve as thinking humans and to promulgate love everywhere we go.

    Anyway. I could keep babbling, but I will let it be for the time being. Thank you so much for writing such thoughtful thoughts. Please proliferate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I feel a little weird that I apparently enjoy books designed for college girls....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY agree with this post. And I've read, have, and adore three of the books on your list (Anne, Little Women, and Daddy Long-Legs). I have A Girl of the Limberlost as well and just haven't read it yet, but I'll move it to the head of my to-read list. I'll look for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn the next time I'm at Powells! Thanks for the recommendations! I may have to come up with my own list.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, You must read Girl of the Limberlost. I didn't mention it, but it was my absolute favorite book for my entire childhood. I read it twice a year every year from about the age of 8 to 18. Elnora Comstock is simply amazing as a character. And A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...on my amazing! I'm kinda surprised you've not heard of it. Oh well. Now you have.

    Annie, I knew you'd have good things to add to this ;-). If you can't find any of them, I have Daddy Long Legs in my possession right now, and I'm sure the library here has the other two. My copies are in Oregon.
    But as for you thoughts on empowerment, I think we've been thinking along the same lines. I also have been stewing over the so-called empowerment that is the "freedom" to parade naked on a tv screen acting lewdly. My question is, would you be doing it if it didn't have such an effect on men? If not, then can you really call yourself empowered? You behavior is still every bit as determined by men as ever, only now, you're doing it voluntarily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene Hunt, better known for "Across Five Aprils", wrote a book I read during adolescence called "Up a Road Slowly". Though that one was so clearly fixed on the moral of putting others first, it kind of scarred me. And it never really illustrated the putting of others first. It just kind of was a conclusion the heroine reached near the end. And I had to think, if the girl's step brother and step mother and father come before her, what sense does that make? Putting people in order like that? I guess it was her realization about her father's priorities, maybe I failed to understand that her priorities might be different from her father's priorities.

    I think we have to put God first. It is a strange world in which that even has to be said, but here we are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricia: A hierarchy of people who come before you? That seems odd to me too. I agree that we should put God first. Though to me, yes there are certain situations where that is a literal thing. But when I think of putting God first that just means to me that we serve rather than demand service.

    ReplyDelete