Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Prompt 11: What is in My Makeup Bag

The ratio here seems to be one decent prompt to three incredibly stupid ones.  But I've decided to be more proactive.  Let's see if I can make this post even a little bit interesting, shall we?  Here we go

First and foremost, I'm writing this at work which means that I'm going entirely off memory...so who knows how accurate this is.  Because much more important than what is IN my makeup bag is how often I use those contents.  And the answer to that implied question is: not very often.  About once a week, really, on Sundays when I'm expected to look like I at least tried a little bit.  Sometimes I'll wear makeup during the week...usually to remind myself that I am, in fact, a human and not a slug.  You'd be surprised how often I get confused on that fact.

As for what is in it, I think there are more things that I literally never use than things that I do.  Because my makeup pretty much consists exclusively of eyeliner, mascara, and eyeshadow.  If I am feeling ridiculously extravagant I might use an eyebrow pencil to give myself entire eyebrows, because typically my eyebrows look like this:
I drew this...cuz I'm an artist...or something...
Of those things that I do use, I think I have four or five eyesadows which are simply variations of these colors:
Why?  Because I have blue eyes.  And orange is a complementary color to blue, which means that if I paint orange (or in this case, metallic orange, aka copper/gold) around my eyeballs my blue eyes look even more blue.  That and I just am instinctively drawn to these colors.  Because I have gone to the store several times with the purposeful determination that I will buy eyeshadow that is NOT these colors...and I end up buying yet more coppers/golds.  It's a sickness...

I also have just recently discovered a magical new kind of eyeliner that has revolutionized my entire concept of wearing makeup.  Which is eyeliner that comes in a tiny pot that you put on with a very tiny paintbrush.  It turns out that paintbrushes are better than crayons (what I had previously been using) for creating the very popular "winged eyeliner" look which I have been striving to achieve for some time now.
possibly the most literal interpretation of anything I've ever seen
and therefore utterly awesome
Before the winging efforts, my eyeliner strategy has always included a certain amount of smudging.  I was delighted to discover that my pots of eyeliner also lend themselves to this practice equally well.  I fell like I've been wasting my life up till now...

My mascara is some wretched thing in a violently purple capsule.  I hate it.  But since I paid $8 for it I am forcing myself to use it up.  It's depressing.

so much for the things I actually use.  As for things I don't use, let's see if I can remember any...

I believe there is one shoddy pair of tweezers that I never use because they are ineffective.  There is a strange little tool that my mother gave me years ago that I think is for the...judicious removal of blemishes.  I think there are a couple sample size pots of Burts Bees products because the bag I use was originally a travel bag full of Burts Bees creams and salves.  I think there's a wooden stick for maintaining your cuticles.  And I think there's some various MaryKay products that I was given when I graduated from high school that have been used maybe twice ever.

And there you have it.  I don't think I succeeded in making this stupid prompt a nevertheless enjoyable read, but I got it written.  Next up is prompt 12: a photograph of the town I live in.  psh.

No comments:

Post a Comment