Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

A clever mind...

So, the other day I was at work cashiering, as I do most days.  This woman came through my line with two wee girls, one I'd say about 6, and the other around 8.  As they always do, the children were drawn irresistibly to the aisle display of candy.  Desperate pleas for this or that candy quickly followed.  

The mother summarily dismissed all of these with a stern "No.  You don't need any candy" and then turned back to me and her purchase.  We chatted for a few moments as I scanned in her merchandise.  Some two or three minutes later we were done and the woman turned to collect her children.  We beheld her eldest seated on the floor, calmly licking a sucker she had apparently just unwrapped.

With a groan the woman snatched the sucker from her daughter and handed it to me with the instructions to charge her for it, and then throw it away.  Having done so, she finished packing up her things and turned to leave.  Her daughter stopped in confusion and demanded to know where her sucker was.  The mother explained to her that she was not going to get the sucker back.

The little girl stood in front of my register with an expression of confusion and disappointment on her face.  She looked at me, and then her mother and said with conviction

"But I licked it!"

1 comment: